Representatives of Montclair Public Library will be on hand at the American Library Association Annual Conference in Washington, D.C. to meet with interested candidates at the Open House/Job Fair on Sunday, June 23, 2019 from 10:30 to noon at the Marriott Marquis Hotel – Independence Ballroom.
Head of Youth and Teen Services
The Montclair Public Library seeks a qualified and dedicated Librarian to serve as Head of the Youth and Teen Services Department. The selected candidate will provide excellent customer service to all users and plan, implement and administer all elements of services for youth from preschool to high school under the direction of the Assistant Director. Some examples of duties and responsibilities are below:
- Supervise functions performed by the Youth and Teen Services staff.
- Establish policies, strategies and plans for Youth and Teen Services.
- Handle problems and conflicts calmly, ably and effectively.
- Select books and other materials for preschoolers through high school.
- Promote literacy and provide materials that reflect the diverse interests of the community.
- Provide reader’s advisory and youth reference services to the public.
- Develop curriculum connections across the range of grades. Develop a close and positive relationship working relationship with local schools and the PTA through visits, book talks and programs for classes who visit the library.
- Plan and conduct children’s and teen programming.
- Develop and promote programming to serve the diverse interests and needs of the community.
- Work in concert with Library Director to establish Department budget; manage programs and material selections within the budget.
- Encourage staff to participate in regional and statewide professional organizations, including BCCLS and NJLA..
The above list is not exhaustive or comprehensive, but serves a representative sample of job duties. Some evening and weekend hours will be required. As one of the busiest municipal libraries in the state enthusiasm, energy, and excitement are a must for staff members. Residency in the State of New Jersey will be required in accordance with New Jersey Revised Statutes § 52:14-7.
Qualifications: A Master’s Degree in Library Science from a program accredited by the American Library Association along with a minimum of three (3) years library experience working with youth and a minimum of two (2) years in a supervisory or administrative capacity of a library public service department (these may be concurrent) is required for this position.
Salary and Benefits:
- Annual salary beginning at $64,107 depending on qualifications.
- Generous benefits package including Health Insurance, Dental coverage, a 403(b) savings plan, life insurance, and participation in the New Jersey Public Employee Retirement System (PERS).
- Paid public holidays, and generous paid vacation and sick time.
- Participation in NJLA, PLA, and ALA is encouraged and subsidized.
Applications will be accepted until Sunday, June 30, 2019
Montclair Public Library is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion and actively recruits persons from various ethnic and cultural backgrounds to enhance service to its diverse community. It is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, creed, religion, marital status, national origin, age, disability, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, veterans’ status or disabled veterans’ status. Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The Montclair Public Library posts open positions on this webpage, along with the NJLA Job Hotline and the BCCLS want ads.
If no positions are open, persons interested in future openings can submit an application for employment to Library Administration, though submission does not guarantee consideration.