Head to one of these museums…on us!
*For the American Museum of Natural History, please call 973-744-0500 x 2234 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Limit 2 tickets per reservation. While supplies last.
- American Museum of Natural History*
- Free admission for up to 2 people.
- Brooklyn Botanic Gardens
- Free admission for 2 adults and children under 16.
- Children’s Museum of Manhattan
- Free admission for 4 guests (2 adults + 2 children OR 1 adult + 3 children).
- Frick Collection
- Free admission for 2 people. *Children under 10 are not admitted to the Frick Collection and children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
- The Guggenheim Museum
- Free admission for 4 adults, all children under the age of 12, and half-price tickets for additional guests.
- International Center of Photography (Closed – reopens January 2020)
- Free admission for two adults and up to four children (under 18). Includes 10% discount at the Shop and Cafe.
- Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum
- Free admission for 6 people. Admission to the Enterprise space shuttle is not included. *You must show your MPL card along with the pass to gain admittance to the Intrepid Museum.
- Liberty Science Center (No pass or reservation required. Show MPL library card for $3 off admission.)
- Montclair Art Museum
- Free admission for 2 adults and all children in the same household up to age 18.
- Morris Museum
- Free general admission for 2 adults and 3 children.
- Museum of the City of New York
- Free admission for up to 2 adults and 4 children.
- Museum of Modern Art
- Free admission and priority entrance for up to 5 people. (All children age 16 and under are admitted for free and do not count towards the 5 guests included in the library pass.)
- New York Historical Society, Library & DiMenna Children’s Museum
- Free admission for 2 adults and 4 children under the age of 18 to the New-York Historical Society and DiMenna Children’s History Museum.
- New York Transit Museum
- Free admission for 2 adults and 2 children.
- Newark Musem of Art
- Free admission to the museum for 2 adults and all children 17 and under.
- Stickley Museum
- Free admission for 2 adults and all children up to age 18 in the household.
- Yogi Berra Museum & Learning Center
- Free admission for 2 adults + 2 children under the age of 18.
*Please note that as of September 2019 Grounds for Sculpture has discontinued its Library Pass program. This pass will no longer be available for reservations effective immediately.
*We are frequently asked about why we do not have passes to the Metropolitan Museum of Art or the Whitney Museum. These museums do not offer library passes.
Who may reserve museum passes?
Montclair residents with valid adult MPL cards may reserve passes. A valid card is one that has less than $10 in fines. Only one pass per museum may be booked per card for the same day of use. Passes will only be checked out on the library card for which the reservation was made.
How do I reserve a museum pass?
Passes may be booked online, in person, or by phone up to 60 days in advance. You must have your library card number to reserve over the phone. You will need to log in with your library card number to reserve online here. Please be sure to reserve the pass for the day you intend to use it.
What’s special about weekend passes?
Saturday and Sunday are treated as one collective day for reservations. Patrons using a pass for either weekend day will need to reserve it for Saturday and get to keep it from Saturday morning (or Friday evening if it’s available) until Monday morning (10:15 a.m.).
How often may I reserve a museum pass?
You may reserve one pass per museum during a 30-day period.
Can I cancel my reservation?
Passes may be cancelled by phone, in person, or by email (email@example.com).
When may I pick up a reserved pass?
Disposable passes (maximum of 2 per reservation) for the American Museum of Natural History may be checked out up to a week in advance. All other passes may only be picked up at the Main Library second floor reference desk on the day of use or the evening before, if available. If you wish to pick up the pass the evening before (after 3 p.m.), please call first to ensure availability.
Passes reserved for Saturday are treated as a collective “weekend” pass available for pickup at any point over the weekend. These passes must be returned by 10:15 a.m. on Monday.
When and how must I return a pass after use?
The American Museum of Natural History passes need not be returned. All other passes must be dropped off at the Main Library by 10:15 a.m. the day after the visit. On the due date, if the library is open (10 a.m. Mon-Sat, 1 p.m. Sun), the pass must be returned to the second floor reference desk. If the library is closed, the pass may be dropped in the mailbox labeled “Museum Pass Return” that is on the column near the book return bins in the front of the Main Library.
Please note that passes checked out for a Saturday or Sunday are treated as a collective “weekend” pass and are not due until Monday morning at 10:15am.
What happens if I return a pass late or lose it?
If passes are not returned on time, the fine per day is $5. Lost passes will be assessed at the replacement rate determined by the museum. Patrons consistently late with returns, or who lose passes, may be ineligible from borrowing passes.