Networking with people in your industry is important for many reasons:
- connecting with people in your field can provide a new perspective about the field
- establishing relationships can give you information about available positions
- sharing your expertise with others builds professional credibility
- staying abreast of your field can increase your skills and your marketability
- ultimately, people help and hire people they know!
Face to Face Networking
- Start with an overview of networking
- Join several local and national professional associations within your profession
- Join an organization whose purpose is networking such as the NJ Association of Women Business Owners or your local Chamber of Commerce. Also check out other Networking groups.
- Participate in an organization which serves the community such as Rotary or the Knights of Pythias
- NJ Networking Groups
- Job Seekers of Montclair– a local, long-lived organization that provides support, instruction and networking opportunities