MONTCLAIR READS CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN
Join us in another element of our 125th anniversary celebration: Montclair Reads Cheaper by the Dozen, a community read of the classic book about one of Montclair’s notable families. “We are very excited to be incorporating this bit of Montclair history and reading into our celebration,” says Coyl.
Between April 14 and May 30, the Library will be leading a community-wide read of Cheaper by the Dozen. Copies of the book and a discussion guide are available, while supplies last. To reserve your copy, email email@example.com.
Purdue University Gilbreth Archives
- April 30 at 6:30 Montclair Historian Michael Farrelly’s lecture: “The Gilbreth Family of Montclair.” Register.
- May 4 at 6:30 An Evening with Peter Gilbreth. Peter Gilbreth, grandson of Frank Bunker Gilbreth and Lillian Moller Gilbreth, featured in the book Cheaper by the Dozen, will share family memories and memorabilia. Register.
- May 8 at 6:30 Step back in time to the Cheaper by the Dozenera with the barbershop quartet, Dapper Dans of Harmony, and an ice cream social. Register.
- May 11 at 6:30 Author Jane Lancaster’s lecture: “Beyond Cheaper by the Dozen: The Remarkable Lillian Gilbreth.” Lancaster is the author of Making Time, a biography of Lillian Gilbreth, a groundbreaking engineer. Register.
- May 17 at 3:00 “From the Archives: Images of Old Montclair” enjoy pictures from the Library’s archives and help us solve a few mysteries. Register.
- May 17 at 5:30 “Meet the Robot” Inspired by Lillian Gilbreth, modern-day engineers from the Montclair High Robotics Club introduce the robot they created. Register.
- May 18 at 10:30 “May 18 at 10:30 “Make Monoprints with Creativity Caravan” Explore replication in design to create artwork using color, texture and print techniques. Register at: adultschool.org/. There is a $10 material fee. The class is free to Montclair members.
- May 24 at 6:30 “The Ultimate Montclair Reads Book Club” will include a screening of “The Quest for the One Best Way,” a documentary about the Gilbreths’ work, and a discussion led by Library Director Peter Coyl. Register.
- April 16 at 6:00 Cheaper by the Dozen 1950 film starring Myrna Loy and Clifton Webb
- April 24 at 4:00 Cheaper by the Dozen 2003 film starring Steve Martin
- May 2 at 2:00 Cheaper by the Dozen repeat screening of 1950 film
- May 9 Belles on Their Toes Myrna Loy returns in the 1952 sequel to Cheaper by the Dozen
In addition to existing book clubs that will be discussing Cheaper by the Dozen during Montclair Reads.
- April 28 at 3:00 at the Bellevue Avenue Branch led by Molly Hone, Head of Adult Services. Register.
- May 3 at 6:00 led by Jill DeMarco, Adult Services Librarian. Register.
- May 7 at 6:30 at the Bellevue Avenue Branch led by Janet Torsney, Assistant Director. Register.
Copies of the book and discussion guides will be given out at these events
- April 14 at the Library Anniversary Party
- April 15 at Montclair’s Historic Reenactment of the first Council meeting
- April 16 at train stations in town
- April 17 at the Town Council Meeting
All events are at the Main Library, 50 South Fullerton Avenue, unless noted otherwise. Although most events are free, registration is required.